Monday, January 30, 2006

BODY AND SOUL

It is a good reminder that "soul" work also involves bodies--feeding them, clothing them, caring for them and about them. "When you do it unto the least of these, my brethren, you do it unto Me," said Jesus.

A prospective donor for Åmy Carmichael's work in India ( saving temple children used for immoral "services"), sent a stipulation with his money--he wanted it used only " for evangelistic work, not buildings." Amy wrote to the gentleman: "Well, one can't save and then pitchfork souls into heaven. There are times when I heartily wish we could. And as for buildings, souls (in India, at least) are more or less securely fastened into bodies. Bodies can't be left to lie about in the open, and as you can't get the souls out and deal with them separately, you have to take them both together. What then is to be done?" (from A Chance to Die by E. Elliot)

In the calling of motherhood, we can sometimes feel like we are only doing mundane "body" work. As we do our duties today, let us remember that every body God has given us to care for houses an eternal soul!

"Learn to commend thy daily acts to God, so shall the dry every-day duties of common life be steps to heaven, and lift thy heart thither.--E. B. Pusey

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a friend of Gracen's at school and I found your blog through Jud, whose intoduction to you on his blog compels me to ask: how on earth did you get eight cents back from the grocer?

1/31/2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger lydiagreene said...

Hello! And yes, it happened only once, but. . . .I bought only the Buy One Get One items in the sale paper, plus I had a coupon for each item, and another coupon from the store flier that would double my coupons--thus, the 8 cents. I make a game out of groceries to see how much I can get for so little. Of course, I mainly shop at Aldi!! Thanks for checking.

2/01/2006 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home